We were told this was a crisis!
A couple of things to remember about these social security projections.
1. The social security trustees are appointed by Bush and the CBO numbers project trust solvency into the 2050's
2. Accepting the SSTrustees #'s, if we do nothing, 2041 is the year that social security will be able to only pay out 80% of current benefits well into the 22nd century.
3. Raising the cap on ss taxes from 90k (presently) to about 140k, eliminates the trust shortfalls totally.
4. Bob Dole, in 2000, said one of his greatest achievements when he was in the Senate was pushing the solvency of the trust until 2034.
In other words, there is/was no "crisis" with Social Security. So why did the Republicans and Bush pretend like there was?
5. Republican leaders don't want to return the money they raided from the Social Security trust fund to pay for tax cuts for the rich. And they hate the most succesful Government plan ever... insurance that you won't eat cat food when you retire.
And the new blog is coming. You are going to love it.